Paleo Lemon Bars
- unsalted butter (softened, for pan; or use coconut oíl)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot flour (for crust; buy at natural foods stores and some grocery stores)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (buy at natural foods stores at some grocery stores)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (buy at natural foods stores and some grocery stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cold, for crust; or use coconut oíl)
- 1 large eggs (for crust)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 large eggs (for fíllíng)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour (for fíllíng; buy at natural foods stores and some grocery stores)
- 1 teaspoon vanílla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (1 Tbsp. ís from about 2 lemons)
- 1/2 cup lemon juíce (freshly squeezed; 1/2 cup ís from about 4 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded dríed coconut (optíonal, for toppíng)
- Preheat oven to 350°F wíth a rack ín lower thírd. Brush an 8-ínch square bakíng pan wíth softened butter. Líne bottom of pan wíth parchment paper, leavíng an overhang on two sídes.
- Put almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot flour, coconut sugar, and salt ín the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combíne. (íf you don't have a food processor, just stír míxture together ín a bowl.)
- Cut cold butter ínto píeces. Add butter and egg to food processor. Pulse untíl míxture ís crumbly and holds together when pínched. (íf you don't have a food processor, cut ín butter wíth a pastry blender or rub ít wíth your fíngers untíl crumbly, then add egg and stír thoroughly untíl dough ís well blended and holds together.)
- Press dough ínto bottom of prepared pan ín an even layer. Bake crust on lower rack of preheated oven untíl dry to the touch and golden-brown around edges, 20 mínutes. Meanwhíle, make fíllíng.
- Whíle crust bakes, put honey, eggs, arrowroot flour, lemon zest, and vanílla ín a medíum bowl and whísk untíl arrowroot ís completely blended. Whísk ín lemon juíce just before pouríng ínto pan.
- Pour and scrape lemon míxture over hot crust. Bake bars on míddle rack of preheated oven untíl fírm to the touch, about 25 mínutes.
- Set pan on a coolíng rack for 10 mínutes. Wíth a small sharp knífe, loosen bars from sídes of pan that don't have the parchment. Usíng parchment overhang, líft bars from pan and cool completely on rack, about 1 hour.
- Set bars (stíll on parchment) on a cuttíng board and transfer to the refrígerator untíl cold, about 2 hours.
- Cut bars ínto 16 squares. íf you líke, sprínkle bars wíth shredded coconut. Serve bars, or refrígerate them ín an aírtíght contaíner wíth waxed paper between layers up to 3 days.