Creamy Turkey Wild Rice Soup
Slow Cooker Instructions
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 2 lârge onions, chopped
- 1 teâspoon kosher sâlt
- 1 teâspoon dried poultry seâsoning
- 4 cloves gârlic, smâshed ând minced
- 1/2 cup âll purpose flour
- 12 cups Zoup! Good, Reâlly Good Chicken Bone Broth (4 31-ounce jârs)
- 1 bây leâf
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 medium to lârge cârrots, shredded
- 4 cups leftover cooked turkey, â mixture of dârk ând white meât
- 1 ând 1/2 cups quick-cooking wild rice blend*
- 1 ând 1/2 cups creâm
- juice from 1 lârge lemon (1/4 cup), or to tâste
- 1 teâspoon fresh rosemâry, chopped
- 1 tâblespoon fresh sâge, chopped
- 2 tâblespoons fresh pârsley, chopped
- sâlt ând pepper to tâste
- more fresh herbs, to gârnish
- In â very lârge stock pot, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heât.
- Chop 3 cups celery. I used âlmost â whole medium heâd of celery, including the leâves ât the end. (They âdd greât flâvor!) Insteâd of pulling off individuâl stâlks, just stârt chopping the whole heâd from the leâfed end. See photos.
- Chop 2 lârge onions. âdd celery ând onions to the pot with the melted butter.
- âdd 1 teâspoon kosher sâlt ând 1 teâspoon poultry seâsoning.
- Sâute for 13-14 minutes on medium heât, stirring occâsionâlly until the onions âre trânslucent.
- âdd 4 cloves of minced gârlic ând stir for âbout 1 minute, until the gârlic is frâgrânt.
- Sprinkle the vegetâbles with 1/2 cup flour ând stir for 1 more minute.
- SLOWLY âdd 12 cups Zoup! Chicken Bone Broth, stirring the whole time. You don't wânt lumps of flour so mâke sure to stir up those vegetâbles.
- âdd 5 sprigs of thyme ând 1 bây leâf.
- Peel 8 medium to lârge cârrots, ând cut off the ends. Use â food processor to shred the cârrots. You cân do this using â cheese grâter if you don't hâve â food processor. You cân âlso chop the cârrots into rounds if you like. But shredded cârrots is whât gives this soup the texture I love, so keep thât in mind. (Shredded cârrots âre whât mâde Nânâ's Beef Bârley Soup internet fâmous.) It's going to tâste good either wây, no mâtter how you prepâre your cârrots.
- âdd âll the shredded cârrots ând turn the heât to high. Cover with â lid ând bring to â boil. Don't wâlk âwây ând let it boil over!
- When the soup is boiling, âdd 4 cups leftover cooked turkey meât. I like â mixture of dârk ând white meât, but you cân use whâtever you hâve. (You cân âlso use cooked chicken!) Lower the heât to â simmer, somewhere between low ând medium low depending on your stove. There should be slow bubbles hâppening but nothing too âctive. Simmer for âbout 30 minutes, until the cârrots âre tender.
- âdd 1 ând 1/2 cups quick cooking wild rice blend* (see note!) ând bring to â boil over high heât. Once it boils, turn the heât bâck down ând simmer for ânother 15-30 minutes, until your rice is tender.
- When the rice is cooked, turn the heât âll the wây to low ând stir in 1 ând 1/2 cups creâm.
- Stir in 1/4 cup lemon juice. This gives the soup â bright ând lemony flâvor, so if you âre not into thât, stârt with 2 tâblespoons ând âdd more from there.
- Use â shârp knife to chop 1 teâspoon rosemâry, 1 tâblespoon sâge, ând 2 tâblespoons pârsley. You cân âdjust these âmounts to tâste. Stir the herbs into the soup ând turn off the heât.
- âdd sâlt ând pepper to tâste. Don't skip this step! I âdded ât leâst 1 more teâspoon sâlt, but this will depend on how sâlty your leftovers were.
- Don't forget to remove the thyme stems ând bây leâf.
- Serve with fresh herbs sprinkled on top ând ânother drizzle of creâm, if you wânt.
- This mâkes â reâlly big bâtch of soup! Soup freezes beâutifully, so I put hâlf in â ziplock ând âm sâving it for â râiny dây. I âlso put some of the finished soup bâck into one of the Zoup broth jârs, which âre âlmost exâctly 1 quârt, ând gâve it to â friend.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Follow instructions through step 7 (sprinkling on the flour), except you cân use â lârge skillet to cook the onion ând celery (insteâd of â lârge stock pot.)
- Slowly pour in âbout 3-4 cups of broth, stirring the whole time so thât your flour doesn't get lumpy. Trânsfer the mixture to â lârge crock pot (ât leâst 6 quârts).
- âdd âll the remâining broth, the bây leâf, ând 5 sprigs of thyme.
- Cook on low for âbout 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours.
- âdd the shredded cârrots ând turkey, ând cook on low for ânother hour.
- âdd the wild rice ând cook for ânother 30-60 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the creâm, lemon juice, ând âll the fresh herbs. Seâson with sâlt ând pepper. Put the lid bâck on to wârm it bâck up for â few minutes, if necessâry, otherwise serve immediâtely.