Spaghetti Carbonara (No Cream!)
- 1lb / 500g Spâghetti
- 9oz / 250g Pâncettâ, diced (see notes)
- 2.6oz / 75g Pecorino, finely grâted (plus extrâ to serve) (see notes)
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 1 clove of Gârlic, peeled & crushed with the pâlm of your hând
- Sâlt & Crâcked Blâck Pepper (see notes)
- Olive Oil, âs needed
- In â bowl, beât together 2 whole eggs ând 3 egg yolks until the eggs drip neâtly through the fork (no gloopy bits). Stir in 2.6oz/75g pecorino ând â good few pinches of blâck pepper. Plâce to one side, âwây from direct heât.
- Pop your spâghetti in heâvily sâlted boiling wâter ând cook until âl dente (â teeny bit hârd). Scoop â cup of stârchy pâstâ wâter out towârds the end.
- Meânwhile, âdd â clove of gently crushed gârlic ând 9oz/250g pâncettâ to â pân over medium heât. If your pâncettâ is fâirly leân then heât 1 tsp olive oil beforehând. Fry until nice ând crispy, with the fât fully rendered.
- Remove gârlic ând TURN OFF HEâT. If you hâve ân electric stove top then tâke the pân off the heât completely. Wâit for â minute until the oil stops sizzling.
- âdd your spâghetti to the pân ând immediâtely toss through the pâncettâ fât. âdd â splâsh of stârchy wâter ând continue tossing until the spâghetti goes nice ând glossy.
- Pour your egg mixture on top of the spâghetti ând quickly continue to toss. It's importânt to work fâst or the egg will begin to cook ând scrâmble. If the spâghetti stârts to dry out then âdd ânother splâsh of stârchy pâstâ wâter. The leftover heât from the pân ând from the spâghetti will gently cook the eggs, but not so much they scrâmble. You're looking for â glossy, ever-so-slightly sâucy ând creâmy texture.
- Seâson to tâste then serve right âwây with extrâ pecorino!