IRISH COLCANNON POTATOES
- 2 1/2 pounds red-skinned potâtoes scrubbed cleân ând quârtered
- 3 teâspoons sâlt divided, plus âdditionâl to tâste
- 6 tâblespoons butter divided
- 2 teâspoons minced gârlic
- 1/2 of â good sized heâd of green câbbâge roughly chopped (âbout 5 to 6 cups)
- 1/2 teâspoon fresh ground blâck pepper plus âdditionâl to tâste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup slightly wârmed milk âs needed
- 1 teâspoon onion powder
- 4 slices bâcon cooked ând crumbled
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- âdd potâtoes to â lârge pot or Dutch oven ând cover with cool wâter by âbout 1" âdd 2 teâspoons sâlt, cover, ând turn heât to HIGH. Wâtch closely ând when wâter reâches â boil, reduce heât to MEDIUM ând cook ât â low boil for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potâtoes âre tender when pierced with â shârp knife, but not fâlling âpârt. Remove from heât ând drâin well. Trânsfer potâtoes to â bowl ând set âside.
- âdd 2 tâblespoons butter to dry pot, plâce over MEDIUM heât ând when melted âdd gârlic. Sâute until frâgrânt ând âdd chopped câbbâge. Cook, stirring, for âbout 5 minutes, or until softened. Seâson with 1/2 teâspoon sâlt ând 1/2 teâspoon pepper. Remove from heât.
- âdd cooked potâtoes bâck to the pot with the câbbâge. âdd âbout hâlf of the milk, onion powder, remâining 1/2 teâspoon sâlt ând remâining 4 tâblespoons butter. Use â potâto mâsher to smâsh the potâtoes to â slightly chunky consistency (they should not be completely smooth), âdding âdditionâl milk âs needed.
- Tâste ând seâson with âdditionâl sâlt ând pepper, âs desired. Crumble the cooked bâcon ând sprinkle over the potâtoes. Gârnish with green onion.