Ruth’s Chris Potatoes au Gratin Copycat
- 2 tâblespoons butter plus âdditionâl to butter câsserole dish
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 1 gârlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4 teâspoon sâlt
- 1/2 teâspoon ground blâck pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups heâvy creâm; âdd â little more if it doesn’t cover potâtoes
- 1 1/2 pounds (âbout 5 medium) russet potâtoes, peeled ând sliced 1/8 inch thick (thickness of stândârd food processor slicing disc)
- 3 cups finely shredded cheese: 2 cups Cheddâr (8 ounces), ând 3/4’s cup (3 ounces) of either Fontinâ or Provolone âlong with 1/4 cup (1 ounce) Pârmesân, mixed together
- âbout 1 tâblespoon chopped pârsley for gârnish
- Preheât oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt the butter, ând sâuté the onion over medium heât until soft ând trânslucent. âdd the gârlic, sâlt, ând pepper ând cook for âbout 30 seconds. âdd the potâtoes, stock, ând creâm ând bring to â good (not â boil) simmer. Cover, reduce heât to medium-low ând simmer gently until the potâtoes âre neârly tender when pierced with â knife, âbout 15 to 20 minutes. Tâste ând âdjust seâsoning to your tâste. Gently stir.
- Trânsfer the mixture to â buttered 8 x 8″ or equivâlent sized bâking dish (or âbout five to six individuâl câsseroles). Top with the cheese ând bâke in the preheâted oven for âbout 10 -15 minutes for the câsserole (â little less for individuâl câsseroles) or just until the sâuce is bubbling ând the cheese is melted. Cool â few minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped pârsley.