Slow cooker vodka bolognese pasta.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground spicy Italian sausage (or ground beef)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 can (28 ounce) chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup vodka
- 1 parmesan rind, plus grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- 1 pound long or short cut pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion, shallot, carrots, and celery, and season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until the onion is fragrant and beginning to caramelize. Add the beef and sausage, brown all over, breaking up the meat as you go, about 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Transfer the meat to the bowl of your slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, bay leaves, thyme, milk, vodka, and parmesan rind. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.