Zucchini, Eggplant, Tomato Gratin Recipe
We're topping this gratin with provolone and Parmesan cheeses. You could easily top it with Gruyere instead. For a more Provencal approach, skip the cheese all together and top with bread crumbs, minced garlic, parsley, and olive oil.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sliced yellow onion (1 large onion)
- 1 cup of sliced red, orange, or yellow bell peppers
- 1 long eggplant (a slender eggplant like a Japanese eggplant, not a large globe, about 1/2 pound)
- 1 large zucchini (about 10 to 12 inches long, 1 1/2 inch diameter, about 1/2 pound), or other summer squash
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 ounces Provolone cheese, sliced or grated
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large sauté pan heat 2 Tbsp of the olive oil on medium high heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Click here to view complete recipe