German Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 pounds red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (for boiling potatoes)
- 12 ounces bacon
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (about 3 large cloves)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Scrub potatoes and cut any very large potatoes in half so that all potatoes are of approximately equal size.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when stabbed with a fork.
- Drain water. Leaving potatoes in pot, return pot to still-hot (turned off) burner. Leave lid off of pot and allow potatoes to steam dry for a few minutes.
- Set a large pot over medium heat and use kitchen shears over pot to cut bacon strips into approximately 1-inch pieces.
- Cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until crispy.
- While bacon is cooking, cut potatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Cut any extremely large slices in half. Set aside.
- Once bacon is done, remove pot from stove and use a slotted spoon to remove bacon to a bowl while leaving bacon grease in the pot (I had about 1/4 cup).
- To the bacon grease, slowly and carefully add vinegar, sugar, Dijon, salt, and pepper.
- Place pot back on burner, bring mixture to a simmer, and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Full Directions https://www.fivehearthome.com/german-potato-salad/