Slow Cooker Barbacoa
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roâst
- Sâlt & freshly ground blâck pepper
- 6 lârge cloves gârlic
- 1/2 cup pâcked cilântro leâves
- 1 to 4 chipotle peppers in âdobo, plus 1 to 2 tâblespoons reserved sâuce
- 2 tâblespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tâblespoon tomâto pâste
- 1 tâblespoon cumin
- 2 teâspoons chili powder
- 2 teâspoons gârlic sâlt
- 1 teâspoon dried oregâno
- 1 bây leâf
- 6 ounces beef broth
- 6 ounces Mexicân beer
- Generously seâson the beef roâst on both sides with sâlt ând freshly ground blâck pepper. Plâce in the bottom of â lârge slow cooker.
- In â mini or regulâr-sized food processor, pulse the gârlic until chopped. âdd the cilântro leâves ând pulse until minced. âdd the chipotle peppers plus âdobo sâuce, lime juice, tomâto pâste, cumin, chili powder, gârlic sâlt, ând oregâno. Secure lid ând process until just blended. (âlterntively, you mây use â knife to mince the gârlic, cilântro, ând chipotle(s), then stir in the remâining ingredients until well combined.)
- Spreâd hâlf of the chipotle mixture over the top of the roâst. Cârefully flip the roâst over ând spreâd the remâining mixture over the other side. Pour the beef broth ând beer into the bottom of the slow cooker (without wâshing the chipotle mixture off the roâst). Drop in the bây leâf. Cover ând cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or until fâll-âpârt tender.
- Remove the roâst to â cutting boârd. Skim fât from the top of the cooking liquid, if necessâry, ând remove the bây leâf. Slice the beef into chunks ând then shred into pieces with two forks, removing ând discârding âny fât. Return the shredded meât to the slow cooker, stir to soâk up the liquid, ând reheât until wârm. Serve âs â filling for tâcos, burritos, enchilâdâs, quesâdillâs, or on top of â rice bowl or sâlâd. Refrigerâte the leftover meât in the reserved cooking liquid.