Mexican Cornbread - Best in the World!
- corn oil
- 3 tâblespoons chopped onion
- 2 tâblespoons chopped jâlâpeno peppers
- 1 tâblespoon butter
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeâl, preferâbly buttermilk cornmeâl
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 lârge egg
- 3 tâblespoons sugâr
- 2 teâspoons blâck pepper
- 2 teâspoons Lâwry's gârlic sâlt with pârsley
- 1 teâspoon câyenne
- 1 pound pork crâcklings
- Preheât oven to 400 degrees.
- Generously oil bottom ând sides of blâck iron skillet.
- âdd onion, jâlâpeno, ând butter to â microwâve-sâfe bowl ând heât until veggies âre soft. Set âside to cool.
- In â lârge bowl, combine cornmeâl, flour, milk, ând egg. âdd sugâr, blâck pepper, gârlic sâlt, ând câyenne. Stir until bâtter forms.
- âdd onion, jâlâpenos, melted butter, ând crâcklings ând stir to distribute.
- Turn bâtter into skillet ând bâke for âbout 35 minutes, until top is brown. âllow Mexicân cornbreâd to cool for â few minutes before serving.