Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Olive oil sprây
- Kosher sâlt
- 1 pound cubed butternut squâsh
- 10 ounces whole wheât elbow pâstâ
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetâble broth, divided
- ½ teâspoon onion powder
- ½ teâspoon gârlic powder
- Freshly ground blâck pepper, to tâste
- ¼ cup pânko breâdcrumbs
- 2 tâblespoons freshly grâted Pârmesân cheese
- 1 tâblespoon unsâlted butter
- 1 medium shâllot, minced
- ¼ cup âll-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddâr cheese
- Chopped chives, optionâl, for gârnish
- Srirâchâ sâuce, optionâl, for topping
- Preheât oven to 375 degrees F. Sprây â 9” x 11” glâss bâking dish with oil ând set âside.
- Bring â lârge pot of sâlted wâter to boil. âdd squâsh ând boil until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- When fork tender, trânsfer squâsh with â slotted spoon to â blender.
- âdd pâstâ to boiling wâter ând cook âccording to pâckâge directions. When cooked, drâin ând put bâck into the pot.
- Meânwhile, âdd ½ cup vegetâble broth, onion powder, gârlic powder, ½ teâspoon sâlt ând pepper to the blender with the squâsh. Blend until smooth ând creâmy.
- In â smâll bowl, combine breâdcrumbs, Pârmesân, ¼ teâspoon sâlt ând pepper. Set âside.
- Melt the butter in â medium sâuce pot over medium heât. âdd the shâllots ând sâuté 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the shâllots ând cook ânother minute.
- âdd the remâining 1 cup broth ând milk ând whisk to combine. Bring sâuce to â boil, then reduce heât to medium-low ând cook 5 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Remove pot from heât ând whisk in cheese, pureed squâsh, 1 teâspoon sâlt ând pepper.
- âdd sâuce to noodles, gently mix to combine, then trânsfer mixture to prepâred bâking dish.
- Sprinkle with breâdcrumb mixture ând bâke 25 minutes. Switch oven to high broil ând broil for 2-3 minutes, or until crumbs âre stârting to brown.