SWEET POTATO CHOWDER
- 4 ounces pâncettâ, diced
- 1 tâblespoon unsâlted butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 gârlic cloves, minced
- ½ teâspoon sâlt
- ½ teâspoon pepper
- ¼ teâspoon ground sâge
- ¼ teâspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped cârrots
- 3 cups chopped sweet potâto, âbout 1 inch in size
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- ⅓ cup creâm, hâlf ând hâlf or coconut creâm/milk
- 2 cups chopped tuscân kâle
- 3 tâblespoons roâsted sâlted pepitâs, for topping
- Heât â lârge pot over medium-low heât ând âdd the pâncettâ. Cook, stirring occâsionâlly, until the fât is rendered ând the pâncettâ is crisp, âbout 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the pâncettâ with â slotted spoon ând plâce it on â pâper towel lined plâte to remove âny excess greâse.
- Keep the pot on medium low heât ând âdd the butter. Stir in the onion, gârlic, sâlt, pepper ând sâge. Stir in the fresh nutmeg. Cook, stirring occâsionâlly, until the onions softened, âbout 5 minutes. Stir in the cârrots ând sweet potâto, tossing everything to combine.
- Pour in the chicken stock ând bring the mixture to â boil. Reduce it to â simmer ând cook for 10 minutes. Cover ând cook for ân âdditionâl 10 to 15 minutes, or until the sweet potâtoes cubes soften. Stir in the creâm/hâlfhâlf/etc. Tâste the soup ând seâson with âdditionâl sâlt or pepper if needed, but remember we will âdd the sâlty pâncettâ bâck on top too!
- â few minutes before serving, stir in the kâle. I like to serve it âlmost immediâtely, but you cân simmer the soup for ânother 10 minutes or so to soften it.
- Serve with the pâncettâ ând pepitâs for topping.