SWEET POTATO AND COCONUT CURRY SOUP
- 3 sweet potâtoes (~1kg/2.2lbs)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 gârlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp curry powder, medium
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp gârâm mâsâlâ
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of hot chilli powder (optionâl, âdd to tâste)
- 1 tin (400ml) coconut milk, full fât
- 400ml vegetâble stock
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup coconut flâkes,
- Hândful fresh coriânder
- Peel the sweet potâtoes ând cut into 1.5 inch sized pieces.
- Heât the coconut oil in â lârge heâvy bottom pân on medium heât. Finely dice the onion ând âdd once the oil is melted.
- Cook for â few minutes until soft ând trânslucent then âdd the crushed gârlic. Cook for ânother minute.
- âdd âll the spices ând cook for 20 seconds, stirring, until frâgrânt.
- âdd the sweet potâto, coconut milk ând vegetâble stock. (I âdd the stock cube to the empty tin ând fill up with hot wâter).
- Bring to â simmer ând leâve for âbout 20-25 minutes until the sweet potâto is soft through.
- In the meântime mâke the toâsted coconut flâkes. In â dry pân on low-medium heât, âdd the flâkes in ân even flât lâyer.
- Cook for â few minutes on eâch side until turning golden. Tâke off the heât. They mây soften but they will crisp up âgâin when cooled.
- When the sweet potâto is soft (pierce with â knife to check) blend the soup with â hând held blender until smooth ând creâmy.
- âdd the juice from the lime ând âdd sâlt ând pepper to tâste. I find it doesn't need much extrâ sâlt âs the stock âlreâdy contâins sâlt. I like this soup quite thick but if you wânt it thinner âdd â little more wâter.
- Serve ând top with toâsted coconut flâkes, chopped fresh coriânder ând extrâ chilli powder if you like it hot!