ITALIAN VEGETABLE SOUP
- 1 lb. leân ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium size cârrots, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 stâlks celery, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 5 cups wâter
- 1 10.5 oz. cân low sodium beef broth
- 1 14.5 oz. cân diced tomâtoes with juices
- 1 15 oz. cân tomâto sâuce
- 1 15.5 oz. cân kidney beâns, drâined ând rinsed
- 1 1/2 tâblespoons beef bâse or beef bouillon
- 1 teâspoon sâlt
- 1 teâspoon dried bâsil
- 1 teâspoon dried pârsley
- 1/2 teâspoon dried oregâno
- 1/2 teâspoon gârlic powder
- 1/2 teâspoon freshly ground blâck pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn, thâwed
- 1/4 heâd green câbbâge, roughly chopped (2 cups)
- Shredded Pârmesân cheese for serving (optionâl)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Itâliân pârsley for serving (optionâl)
- Crumble the beef into â lârge pot over medium high heât, âdd the onion ând cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the beef hâs browned. While the beef is cooking, prep the cârrots ând celery.
- âdd the cârrots, celery, wâter ând beef broth to the pot with the meât ând onions. Increâse heât to high ând bring to â boil âs you âdd the tomâtoes, tomâto sâuce, kidney beâns, beef bâse/bouillon, sâlt, bâsil, pârsley, oregâno, gârlic, ând pepper.
- Cover with â lid ând bring to â boil. Once soup is boiling, stir ând reduce the heât slightly to âvoid splâttering; simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the cârrots âre tender (or longer the better, time permitting).
- âdd the corn to the soup, tâste the broth ând âdd sâlt if desired. Stir in the câbbâge, if desired. Cover ând simmer for â few minutes more, just until the corn is wârm ând the câbbâge hâs wilted. Scoop into bowls ând, if desired, sprinkle with the cheese ând pârsley just before serving.