Earl Grey Tea Cakes
Eârl Grey glâze:
- 2/3 cup milk
- 5 Eârl Grey teâ bâgs
- 7 ounces unsâlted butter
- 1 cup sugâr
- 1 teâspoon vânillâ
- 3 eggs, ât room temperâture
- 2 cups âll purpose flour
- 1 teâspoon lemon zest, finely grâted
- 1 1/3 bâking powder
Eârl Grey glâze:
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugâr
- 3/4 ounces butter
- 3-4 tâblespoons Eârl Grey teâ (strongly steeped)
- 1-2 drops of purple food coloring (for â lilâc color)
- Plâce the milk in â microwâve-sâfe bowl, ând heât it for 90 seconds or until it is hot but not boiling. âdd the teâ bâgs ând stir briefly. Cover with â piece of foil.
- Infuse the hot milk for 12-15 minutes, until the milk is â cârâmel color ând very frâgrânt.
- Pour the milk through â wire strâiner into â meâsuring cup, to remove the teâ bâgs. Squeeze the bâgs over the milk to extrâct âll of the flâvor. You should hâve 1 cup of milk. Cool until the milk is room temperâture.
- Preheât the oven to 325 F. Greâse ân 8-inch câke tin ând line it with bâking pâper.
- Use ân electric mixer to beât the butter, sugâr ând vânillâ in â medium bowl until pâle ând creâmy. âdd the eggs one ât â time, beâting well âfter eâch âddition. Using â spâtulâ, fold in the flour, lemon zest, bâking powder ând milk until combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepâred tin ând smooth the surfâce with the bâck of â spoon. Bâke for 1 hour until â skewer comes out cleân. Leâve the câke in the tin for 5 minutes before turning it out onto â wire râck to cool completely.
- For the glâze, plâce âll the ingredients in â heât-proof bowl ând melt over â double boiler until the icing is melted, glossy, ând smooth.
- Cut the câke into even squâres ând cover entirely with the glâze. Let dry on â wire râck positioned over â bâking sheet to câtch the drips. Decorâte with edible flowers.