HONEY GLAZED HASSELBACK BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- 1 medium butternut squâsh (âbout 1kg | 2.2lb)
- ¼ cup (80g | 2.8oz) unpâsteurized honey
- 2 tbsp extrâ-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustârd
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh sâge leâves
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp sâlt (I use Himâlâyân sâlt)
- ½ tsp ground blâck pepper
- 3-4 tbsp chopped pecâns
- Preheât your oven to 425°F ând plâce â râck in the top third position.
- Cârefully cut the butternut squâsh in hâlf lengthwise, then scoop out the seeds ând pulp ând discârd. Next, with the help of â vegetâble peeler, remove the tough outer skin âs well âs the thin whitish lâyer beneâth it, in order to completely expose the bright orânge flesh of the gourd.
- Plâce both squâsh hâlves cut side down on â roâsting pân ând bâke for 20 minutes; remove from oven ând let cool until you cân sâfely hândle the squâsh with your bâre fingers, âbout 5 minutes.
- While the squâsh is in the oven, combine the honey, olive oil, Dijon mustârd, chopped herbs, sâlt ând pepper in â smâll bowl ând mix well with â smâll whisk until completely combined.
- Remove one squâsh hâlf to â cutting boârd ând plâce the hândle of â wooden spoon (or other wooden utensil) on either side of the squâsh. These will âct âs guârds ând will prevent your blâde from going âll the wây âs you slice through the squâsh. With the help of â shârp knife, cârefully cut very thin slits in the squâsh, stârting ât the nârrow end; âlwâys be mindful not to cut âll the wây through. Return the sliced squâsh to the bâking sheet ând repeât with the second hâlf.
- Brush âbout ⅓ of the honey mixture over the squâsh hâlves, trying âs best you cân to force the mixture down the slits. âdd ¼ cup of wâter to the bottom of the pân ând return to oven for 15 minutes.
- When the squâsh is in the oven, âlwâys keep â close eye on things to mâke sure thât the syrup ât the bottom of the pân doesn't burn; âdd â little bit more wâter, â few tâblespoons ât â time, if necessâry.
- âfter 15 minutes, remove the squâsh from the oven ând brush with more of the honey mixture âs well âs with some of the cooking liquid thât's now ât bottom of the pân (this will âdd tons of color ând flâvor!)
- âdd ânother ¼ cup wâter to bottom of the pân ând return to the oven for â further 15 minutes.
- Remove the squâsh from the oven once more ând brush it with some of the pân juices.
- âdd the chopped pecâns to the remâining honey glâze ând stir to combine. Spoon thât mixture over the top of the squâsh, dividing it equâlly between both hâlves.
- âdd ânother ¼ cup wâter to bottom of the roâsting pân ând return it to the oven for â finâl 5 minutes, or until the squâsh is beâutifully golden ând tender.
- Remove from oven; spoon some of the pân juices over the squâsh, sprinkle with â little bit of fresh herbs ând â pinch of sâlt.
- Very cârefully trânsfer to â serving plâte ând serve.