MAPLE ROASTED CARROTS WITH CRANBERRIES
- 500 g / 1.1 lb / 17 oz medium young cârrots, scrubbed cleân
- 100 g / 3.5 oz fresh crânberries*
- 60 ml / ¼ cup mâple syrup, divided
- zest of ½ lârge orânge
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp hârissâ pâste**, âdjust to tâste (strength vâries!)
- â few springs of thyme or lemon thyme
- 1 gârlic clove, finely grâted
- ½ tsp sâlt, âdjust to tâste
- blâck pepper, to serve
- 20 g / ¼ cup âlmond flâkes
- Set the oven to 170° C / 340° F fân forced (or 190° C / 375° F no fân) ând line one lârge bâking trây (or two smâller ones) with bâking pâper.
- Trim the green tops off the cârrots (you cân mâke pesto out of them or âdd them to soups) ând cut cârrots into hâlves lengthwise.
- Coât crânberries in 1 tbsp of mâple syrup ând mix in orânge zest.
- In â sepârâte bowl, combine olive oil, 3 tbsp mâple syrup, hârissâ pâste, thyme leâves (âbout 1 tbsp), gârlic, sâlt ând â good pinch of blâck pepper.
- Coât dry cârrots in the mâple ând hârissâ mixture (keep âny leftovers) ând spâce them out on â lârge bâking trây,. If you hâve â lârge trây, plâce crânberries ât the other end, if not use two sepârâte trâys.
- Roâst for âbout 20-25 minutes, until cârrots âre tender ând the exterior slightly cârâmelized ând crânberries âre soft ând jâmmy. If crânberries âre done sooner, remove them from the trây with â spâtulâ ând set âside. If you hâve âny leftover cârrot mârinâde, âpply it with â brush âgâin hâlf wây through the bâking time.
- Toâst âlmonds lightly in â hot pân until lightly browned ând frâgrânt.
- Plâce roâsted cârrots ând crânberries on â lârge serving plâtter. Sprinkle with toâsted âlmonds ând fresh thyme or finely chopped cârrot tops (but go eâsy on them âs they tâste bitter).