Vegan Crispy Korean BBQ Tofu
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu
- 1/2 Cup Tomato sauce, canned
- 1/4 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 Tablespoons Agave syrup
- 2 Teaspoons Gochujang paste
- 1 Small Apple, finely grated
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely grated
- 1 inch piece Fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame seeds
- 1/2 Cup Corn starch
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Oil for frying
- Scallions for serving
- Rice for serving
- Start by pressing your tofu. I will link to my tofu guide below if you would like a step by step of that process. Press the block of tofu for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better. You can even do it in the morning before you plan to make it.
- When you are ready to eat, make the Korean BBQ sauce first. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, agave, Gochujang, the finely grated apple, garlic and ginger, and the sesame seeds. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Then, take your pressed block of tofu, cut into cubes, or thinner rectangular slices like I did. Whatever you prefer. Add the tofu to a large mixing bowl, then sprinkle with the corn starch and salt. Toss to coat all of the tofu.
- Now, heat a little bit of oil at the bottom of a non stick pan on medium high. Add the tofu to the pan, don't over crowd it, if the pan is too small to fit all of it, do it in two batches.
- Brown the tofu on all sides, reducing heat as needed. It will take a few minutes on each side to get the tofu nice and crispy. Remove all of the tofu from the pan, place in a bowl.