Flaky honey brioche bread.
- 2/3 cup warm whole milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 eggs - 4 used in dough, plus 1 egg beaten for brushing
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold salted butter, sliced into thin pieces
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the milk, yeast, honey, 4 eggs, flour, and salt. Using the dough hook, mix until the flour is completely incorporated, about 4-5 minutes. Add 4 tablespoons room temp butter and mix until combined, about 2-3 minutes more.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and roll out onto a lightly floured surface, creating a large rectangle that’s about 12x18 inches. Lay the thin slices of cold butter on one half of the dough, pressing gently to adhere.
- Fold the other half of the dough over butter, covering it completely. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, roughly 12x18 inches.