SPICY VEGAN BLACK BEAN SOUP
This hearty soup is easy to make and comes together in under 30 minutes making it a great recipe for quick weeknight dinners. It can also be made in advance as it keeps well and the flavours even improve the next day. This soup is low in fat, vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, sugar-free and high in fibre, protein and iron.
- 1 heaping cup diced onion (160 g, approx. 1 small or 1/2 a large)
- 1 heaping cup peeled and diced carrot (160 g, approx. 2 medium)
- 1 diced green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery (150 g, approx. 3 ribs)
- 1/2 a jalapeno, de-seeded and minced (or a whole one for extra spiciness)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp each cumin, oregano and chili powder
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth (start with 3 cups, add a bit if it seems too thick)
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce (any plain tomato pasta sauce works)
- 1 19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (330 g, about 2 cups cooked beans)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bell pepper to a soup pot with a bit of the vegetable broth and cook for 5-10 minutes until starting to soften, stirring occasionally. You can saute in a bit of olive oil if you prefer.
- Stir in the spices and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the broth, tomato sauce and black beans and bring to a simmer. Simmer lightly until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Get complete recipe >> Click Here